What is the red pimple on the skin?

Hi, My family member has a red bubble pimple type on skin (like neck, knee, leg & hand) suddenly started from last 2-3 days with irritation. please help me. is this due to heat in body.
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Antibiotic cream to prevent infection... Detailed Answer: Hi, A single papule with surrounding redness may be from inflammed hair follicle or blocked gland. What ever may be the reason usually the condition resolves spontaneously. Rarely it may get secondarily infected leading to abscess that needs to be drained. I hope this patient has no diabetes. In this instance, I would advice you to use topical antibiotic such as bactroban cream over the affected area. It prevents secondary bacterial infection. Besides that heat fomentation can be helpful. The member needs to regularly watch the progress of this bump. Avoid handling it with bare fingers. I recommend a visit to a doctor if it enlarges in size or becomes more painful. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards