What is the red blotchy rash and lump in my armpit?

Hi I am a 52 y/o married male who is 20 lbs overweith. Other than that I am In good health, normal BP, exercise x3 weeklt, don't smoke an exercise x3 week. Recently ion the last 60 days I havd fealt sofy lumps under alternatine arm pits (One lump under an arm pit would go awaw in 4-5 days) that 2-3 weeks later my other arm pit would experiemce the same symptoms. Recently this happened again under my left arm pit. Like the others the soft but painful limps were accompanied by small white heads Follicucitis?. However, unlike the two previous times, a red blotchy rash ensued both in the arm pit and my upper underneath arm. This happened fast, within 24 hours. The white heads are gone, but the rash still persists- its been been 24 hrs and is very itchy and painful. I live in Florida and wear slik shirts mostly. About 20 days ago I purchased several shirts which are a cotten and viscose blend (60-40). Please advise as this is very uncomfortable- aside from itchy rash there is also some swelling. No bad odor or scales or other colors- just red and blotchy- Please advise- XXXXXXX Kaplan
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 minutes later

From the symptoms that you have described, the bumps sound like boils or folliculitis but the red rash can be due to contact dermatitis or fungal infection.

Folliculitis starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle.

In most cases of folliculitis, the damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria Staphylococcus.

Apply some calamine lotion on the red rash and for itching take some antihistaminic tablets like Benadryl or Claritin after consulting your doctor. You may need to take a course of antibiotics to clear the infection.

Also wear cotton clothes and get a topical antifungal cream prescribed.

These include clotrmazole or ketoconazole. Avoid using perfumed soaps, bubble baths and toiletries till that time.

Maintain good hygiene.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

I will be happy to answer your queries.