What is the recovery period of Mastoiditis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
how long does it take a person to recover from mastoiditis
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later

Under normal circumstances and a good care with appropriate antibiotic cover, it takes almost 2 weeks for the mastoiditis infection to improve and the symptoms of congestion might take even longer to subside.

From the details provided, you have acute promyelocytic leukemia. Even after complete remission and bone marrow transplantation, there is a mild immune deficiency and infections do take longer to time to improve. The time taken for recovery depends on the blood cell counts.
Sometimes there may be a fungal mastoiditis and recurrence is common if adequate antifungals are not given.

Intravenous antimicrobial therapy is needed in most of such cases. The choice of antimicrobial should be based on findings from clinical specimens obtained from the middle ear by tympanocentesis or aspiration. Antimicrobial treatment may be needed for upto 6 weeks in case of chronic infections.
Thorough aural toilet and additional topical antimicrobial therapy will help in early recovery.

The time taken for recovery has wide interindividual variations according to the physical well being of the patient.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.