What is the reason when wake up gasping for breath?

Sometimes I wake up gasping for air it's scary what is wrong with me
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You could be suffering from OSA. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Do you wake up gasping for breath very frequently? How often it happens in a night. Do you feel sleepy during day time? In view of your symptoms and considering your weight(overweight), you could be suffering from OSA(Obstructive Sleep Apnoea). You need to consult a pulmonologist and undergo a sleep study called polysomnography and based on that a diagnosis can be arrived at and further course of action decided.