What is the reason not to have pacemaker?

My doctor told me I needed a pace maker and said that she would arrange for me to see a cardiologist later that day. In the evening she called to say that I should not have a pace maker but to stop taking hydroclorothiazide at once. She said she would call in a new prescription for my high blood pressure I am 92 and now fear that the reason for the change may be that at my age they do not want to do the pace maker. I am concerned about this and do not want to worry about my heart. Does this change sound reasonable or should I see a cardiologist to confirm the new decision? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: age is not a reason not to have pacemaker Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic As you may know, hydrochlorothiazide is a thiazide diuretic. It would not only cause the loss of fluids but would also potentially cause the loss of some electrolytes including low levels of both sodium and potassium. Electrolyte disturbance (particularly potassium) can cause heart rhythm and rate abnormalites and decrease in sodium levels can cause lightheadness, nausea, decreased level of consciousness, malaise. It is possible that your doctor advised the discontinuation of the diuretic because she thought that the electrolyte and fluid loss resulting from its use may be contributing to whatever symptoms you are experiencing. Pacemakers can be inserted at any age and the main contraindications to its use (reasons cannot be used ) are: (1)infection at site where to be inserted, (2)systemic infection, (3)bleeding tendency, (4)on oral anticoagulation, (5)severe lung disease Age is not normally a contraindication. It is quite possible that your doctor discussed your symptoms and signs with a cardiologist who suggested the change in medication. if you are still uncertain you can still ask your doctor for a referral to a cardiologist. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions