What is the reason for tightness in throat and fatigue?

ENT Specialist
Question
I'm congested and I have a tightness in my throat around my collor bones. It's not really a sore throat, but more of a feeling that the area where my neck meets my chest seems to be swollan. I'm not having problems swallowing, Just a tightness in the throat. My work requires me to be on the phone a bunch and after awhile it starts to tighten up and it causes me to caugh. I've had these sensation on and off for a couple of months, which is what is worrying me, since I've never actually had this feeling in my throat before.. I'm generally fatigued, but I am most worried about my throat. I'm about 50 and I haven't done a great job of taking care of myself and I immediately start to think the throat thing is cancer, since every illness i have had in my life tends to runs it's course in a few weeks, whereas this has been around for months. I'm in Chicago and outside watching kids' baseball and it has been freezing and I'm wondering if I am prolonging it - also been under a ton of stress at work. Thanks for the help.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for the query

After going through your query, I feel, I need to know some more things related to your present condition.
1.     Do you have acidity (gastritis) problem?
2.     Do you have habit of smoking/consuming alcohol?
3.     Do you consume excess of coffee/tea?
4.     Does your work involve lot of stress?
5.     Do you have cough associated with this throat discomfort?
6.     Does this problem worsen on lying down?
7.     Were you on any other medications before?
8.     Any change in voice?
9.     Any difficulty in swallowing?

The reason, I would like to know the answer for the above questions is because of your age. There are various conditions affecting the quality of life at this age and in order to zero in on the most probable cause I would request you to furnish the answers for the same.

Awaiting your reply

Dr. Naveen Kumar

Follow-up: What is the reason for tightness in throat and fatigue? 1 hour later
Dr. XXXXXXX - thanks for the response. See my answers below.
1. Do you have acidity (gastritis) problem? No - not really
2. Do you have habit of smoking/consuming alcohol? I do drink alcohol and I actually noticed my problem for the first time after I overindulged in Irish whiskey (family member died). It was right after that event that I first noticed it and it has never really gone away.
3. Do you consume excess of coffee/tea? I drink a lot of caffienated cola - regular Coke. Probably 6 plus cans a day and I have my whole life.
4. Does your work involve lot of stress? Yes and even more stressful lately. I am in commercial real estate and I closing my company and taking a position with another firm. It has definitely been stressful.
5. Do you have cough associated with this throat discomfort? Yes - I've been congested for awhile.
6. Does this problem worsen on lying down? No.
7. Were you on any other medications before? No - I have never been on any kind of medication.
8. Any change in voice? When I'm the phone for long periods at work my voice starts to crack and I have flem and I have to keep clearing my throat.
9. Any difficulty in swallowing? No

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 18 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for the information, It helped me at arriving to the below opinion.

The symptoms you have do make me strongly suspicious about Laryngeal pathology , to be specific chronic Laryngitis to confirm which you may need to be examined by a ENT specialist who may conduct a indirect/direct laryngoscopy for the same.

Well its also reasonable to rule out cancer here and this can be achieved by the above mentioned test only.

Do gargle with Chlorhexidine solution which will prevent any secondary infections hereafter, and do take steam inhalations with Eucalyptus oil to alleviate your symptoms and discomfort.

Specific cure/treatment depends on the exact cause for the same made out after the examination.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.