What is the reason for swollen lower eyelid, painful to blink and ringing in ear?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
Hi - started with a swollen lower eyelid, painful to blink. Then woke up with ringing in ear and a fullness. Right eye, right ear.
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: could be an infection or an allergic reaction Detailed Answer: hello and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem. At the offset it seems most likely that you have either an acute infection or an allergic response. In most of the cases this is self limiting so you do not have to worry about it and rest assured that it will definitely become better in a day or two. Meanwhile you can do the following: 1. Apply hot fomentation with a clean cloth over the area (lower eyelid) as many times as you can 2. Since you have pain, you may also take a painkiller like acetaminophen in consultation with your doctor. 3. In any case an anti allergy medication like levocetrizine should be taken. Your doctor will definitely know about this. 4. Since you have ear block or fullness also then you must take steam inhalation with menthol or a similar vaporizer at least two to three times in a day for a week or so. 5. Take only warm water and do not get under the direct blast of AC or the fan Wait for a couple of days for the symptoms to subside and or if the symptoms worsen then you must take an ENT consult so that the doctor can decide whether an antibiotic or further medication is required or not. Hope this helps and I will be more than happy to answer any doubts that you may have take care an get well soon regards Dr Sriram Nathan