What is the reason for swelling around my right knee and heel ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi I'm fifty and I just notice swelling around my right knee and around my right heel too also my right leg is pale than the left leg can you tell me what it could be?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Follow-up: What is the reason for swelling around my right knee and heel ? 12 minutes later
I notice this swelling on my heels more than a year ago thought was ok never hurt or bother me, but this last two weeks notice swelling around my knee bother me when I try to seat with the leg cross have tingling sensation. Also is being a while a feel pain in my shoulders or upper arms. This comes and goes and is not as bad just uncomfortable if I take two ibuprofen it disappear. There's days I don't feel anything when is cold is when I have it more. If I sit for long time my back hurts just at the end of my spine. Also feel like cramps by my blades in my back, or calfs too.
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

These could be either symptoms of menopause or any type of arthritis. Considering your age and related symptoms, I relate it to menopause.

These are the effects of Oestrogen (hormone) on your bones. Osteoporosis sets in early during menopause.

I suggest you to get your Serum calcium, Phosphorous and Vitamin D levels done. If these are deranged, they need to be rectified and I would consider going for a bone scan seeing the results. if not other causes of arthritis have to be ruled out.

If the knees are swollen, they need rest and ice packs. Dont walk around with swollen knees. You need to reduce a lot of weight as this could aggravate the arthritis. Consult a dietitian for the same.

Kindly get back to me with your follow up queries.

Thank you.