What is the reason for stretchy feeling between the rib cage ?

ENT Specialist
Stretchy feeling between the rib cage. Strecthing of inside muscles(Chest area-mid of the rib cage-while opening and closing jaw[rare though] like a rubber band during breathing. Sensation of breathing problem during this condition. No fever-cough-pain etc to any part of the body. Able to sleep properly but when i wake up; the whole upper body feels heavy sometimes and strecthy feelings inside the upper body till jaw comes back. Do not know what is it?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later

Thanks for the query,

After reading your history it is clear that you have generalized body ache with stretching pain. and all the recommended investigations are with in normal limits, indicates two possibilities

1- Connective tissue disorder.

2- Psychiatric cause.

Now let me discuss with you about these 2 conditions, in the first case the patient has complaints of generalized itching pain with hyperflexibility of joints( you dont have history of this), it is generally a auto immune disease, which manifests late in life or sometimes triggered by certain insults like trauma, drug. etc.

Yes, in your case, the cause may be anxiety related symptoms, which is very common these days.

Your treatment will be on the following lines--

1- Consult a physician, or a ortho surgeon, your doctor will prescribe you some steroids.You will have to take this regularly for 3 weeks.

3- An antacid.

4- Vitamin and mineral supplementation especially calcium.

5- Daily aerobic exercises.

Try this for next 3 weeks, and I believe that you will be all rite.

Hope this will help you and I am ready for future follow ups , if any.