What is the reason for strange behavior and loss of consciousness?

My husband and I was arguing last night for along time, his behaviour changed and he started acting strangely, he kept repeating the same sentence everytime I talked to him for 30 minutes and then lost concsious and blacked out, when he came to he couldn't remember what happened or what he done except that we were arguing, he was unconscious for a few minutes, he said it felt like a dream, his behaviour after was very flat emotionally, this is the 2nd time it has happened in the last few weeks, he's fasting due to ramadan I'm worried is this a mental illness? He's 26 and usually healthy, he had a bad car accident nearly 2 years ago and lost sight in his right eye
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 34 minutes later

The fainting spell with loss of transient memory could be because of the low blood glucose levels due to prolonged starvation- fasting due to Ramzan. Associated diabetes needs to be ruled out with the help of fasting and post prandial blood glucose levels.

It is usually associated with depression and anxiety. These can cause a kind of “brain fog” that makes it difficult to concentrate and pay attention to things. As a result, it is harder for depressed or anxious people to store information in short term memory.

You can help him do meditation, yoga and XXXXXXX breathing exercises to decrease the problem.

Avoid prolonged fasting and it is best to have energy drinks intermittently specially while fasting to avoid these hypoglycaemic spells.

Rare causes like brain pathologies, transient ischemic attacks and hypercholesterolemia also need to be ruled out with the help of simple blood tests and MRI of brain.

Please visit your physician to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case for proper diagnosis.

Meanwhile try to keep your mind busy with reading, crosswords, search a word and by playing Scrabble.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.