What is the reason for small hard lumps over my knee caps ?

Hi-Im a 51 year old woman who has been excercising alot over the past few months. Last week I noticed a few small hard lumps on my left knee cap. They are not on my right knee cap. I also discovered one right above my knee cap. Please advise. Thanks
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 39 minutes later

Presence of lump in your knee may be due to any of the following possibilities

It may be CHRONIC BURSITIS. You may feel like small, tender lumps "floating" underneath the skin of your kneecap; these are actually thickened pieces of bursa tissue.

Second thing is HAEMATOMA, which is collection of blood. It can get collected because of damage to blood vessels because of injury.

It could even be ARTHRITIC lumps. Small arthritic lumps occur because of certain old-age changes which are aggravated because of over-exercise.

This needs a clinical examination by a doctor, preferably an Orthopedician .Investigations like an
X-ray, CT / MRI Scan of your knee joint may be done to confirm the findings.

I appreciate that you exercise, but be careful that you do not over do it .Since you also have diabetes, I hope you are doing it under professional guidance.

Until you see your doctor, please take good rest , avoid lifting heavy weights, running.

Hope this answers your query,I am available for follow ups as well.
Follow-up: What is the reason for small hard lumps over my knee caps ? 31 minutes later
Thanks for your answer...

These small lumps are hard and dont move...I may be over exercising-part of my routine is lifting weights and there are times that they are heavy. If their Arthritic lumps, wouldnt they hurt to the touch or hurt when I walk? These dont hurt at all.
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

Arthritic lumps could be one of the possibilities. Keeping in mind that they have been present from past few months,the presence or absence of pain may not be a clue for confirmation. With a history of diabetes and regular exercise, the presence of the lump may indicate an arthritic change. Since knee being an important weight bearing joint ,limited movements, swelling and injury to soft tissue is possible.

This can only be confirmed with a clinical examination with the aid of investigations like an x XXXXXXX /MRI.
The doctor will discuss the treatment options after the diagnosis is made .