What is the reason for red/purple rash above upper lip and swelling in lower lip of a child?

Dermatologist
Question
My 4 year old daughter woke-up this morning with a red / purple rash above her upper lip (like a moustache), her upper lip was also swollen. Swelling went down. No fever, no pain or itchiness. Impetigo case at childcare but no blisters. She asked if she could go for an afternoon nap, which she never does and is asleep. Was fine when she went to bed last night and I could see it when I woke her up this morning. Nothing in her bed she could have used to create a pressure mark and she wasn't up in the middle of the night. Thanks so much
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query. Sometime a peri oral dermatitis develops in reaction to a particular thing which the child has taken in dinner. It comes with saliva and causes discoloration. However I would like to see a photograph of the lesion. This will help me in giving a closer diagnosis and a better line of management. Please upload a photograph. Waiting for your response. Thank you

Follow-up: What is the reason for red/purple rash above upper lip and swelling in lower lip of a child? 5 minutes later
Thank you I have uploaded 2 photos, she is asleep but these were taken this morning.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the photograph. It is looking like peri oral dermatitis. Just apply hydrocortisone cream twice daily for 3 days she will be fine This cream is available over the counter. Just relax its nothing serious. She is too cute :-) Wishing her a good health. Thank you

Follow-up: What is the reason for red/purple rash above upper lip and swelling in lower lip of a child? 2 minutes later
Thanks so much! I wouldn't usually worry but we leave next week for a long-anticipated overseas holiday so the thought of something contagious made me panic. She is cute and thank you XXXX

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Oh yes I can understand that. You are most welcome.