What is the reason for rapid spread of swelling and tenderness all over the face?

My left side of my face is swollen. It started two days ago, I woke up with my nose slightly swollen and sore. It moved yesterday to my left cheek area. Last night it moved to my upper lip on the left side only. It is now very swollen. As it moved it was very tender and sore to touch. I called my Doctor and spoke with a nurse and they told me to take Musenex but it doesn't seem to be a sinus problem.
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Rapid spread and tenderness makes me think of cellulitis, that is subcutaneous tissue infection. I think you should show to doctor sooner or if thats not possible then consider visit to ER. You would need treatment with analgesics and antibiotics. Hope this helps. Please ask if there are doubts. Regards