What is the reason for pulsating ringing and pressure in my ears?

I have recently developed a ringing in my right ear - a pulsating ringing (possibly pulsatile tinnitis). Last week, in the morning when i turned round in bed, I had a very intense sensation of spinning in my head and it took several seconds for my vision to settle. This lasted for several days then stopped, but when walking, my vision was jumping with each step taken and it felt like I had been drinking alchohol, vision and balance-wise, but sober in mind. That has now more or less disappeared, but a pulsing ringing in my left ear has started and is constant...also, sometimes a feeling of pressure or fullness in my ears. I`m on an anti-depressant (Fluoxetine, 20mg daily) and not sure if these are what`s called ototoxic drugs and causing this recent problem. I also have a catarrh build-up overnight and first thing in the morning, but not during the day - can you advise? Thanks! XXXXXXX Glasgow.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 24 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. this sensation of ringing in the ears is called tinnitus. Moreover you are having sensations of fullness and catarrh build up during the night.

This is not a side effect of the drug Fluoxetine and it is not ototoxic. However few possibilities which can cause these symptoms are :

1)     Eustachian tube blockage. For each ear, a eustachian tube runs from the middle ear to the back of the throat and when this tube is blocked then it may cause fluid build up in ear and infections. Enlarged adenoids can often cause an obstruction of this tube. Hence enlarged adenoids have to be probed thoroughly. If they are enlarged they have to be removed and in the process the tonsils are also removed so that they do not pose a problem later on.

The other causes of Eustachian tube blockage are temporomandicular joint disorder (which you are already having), allergies, glue ear and masses or tumors in the skull base.

2)     Tinnitus can be due to ear wax, fluid, infection, or disease of the middle ear bones or ear drum, diseases of the inner ear, damage to the nerve in the inner ear and sometimes aneurysm or an acoustic tumor.

3)     Third possibility is of post nasal drip. Post-nasal drip (PND) occurs when excessive mucus is produced by the sinuses and this sinus congestion can cause sinus headaches and dizziness as well.

A physical examination by ENT specialist, auditory brain stem response (ABR), a computerized test of the hearing nerves, X-ray sinuses and CT sinuses and brain pathways and CT/MRI brain can diagnose the problem. Please get these investigations done from an ENT specialist.

In the mean time try steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the build up of mucus in your nose. This will lessen the dizziness and feeling of fullness.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.