What is the reason for painful itchy red bumps on chest and neck?

Jan 2014

It started with 2 red bumps on my chest and then a 3rd and then one on my back. My neck and shoulder are slightly swollen. It feels tender to the touch. The bumps start to itch, but it hurts to scratch them.
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need more information Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX I would like gather some more information from you regarding your concern in order to be able to help you better. Since how long have the bumps been present? Is it the first time it has happened? Do you have diabetes? take care regards
Follow-up: What is the reason for painful itchy red bumps on chest and neck? 5 minutes later
About a week and a half with the first 2. Yes this is the first time this has happened. No to diabetes. It kind of burns like a sunburn would when you touch it. It can itch, but if you scratch, it burns.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Furuncle Detailed Answer: Hi. thanks for the additional information I would like to keep a possibility of bacterial infection/furuncle. I usually ask my patients to take a week of oral antibiotics (penicillin group) in such cases Topical ointments like mupirocin 2% is a valuable adjunct. An OTC pain killer like ibuprofen once or twice daily will help you with the pain part. take care regards