What is the reason for pain in the right side chest above chest when belched ?

General Surgeon
29 year old female. Non-Smoker. Having pain in right side chest above breast that only hurts when belching. And occasionally when moving arm a certain way. Unsure of what this is. Been going on for about 5 days now. Noticed this same thing several weeks ago after lifting a heavy air compressor and the pain was there for 2 to 3 days and this past weekend lifted very heavy suitcases.I have no breathlessness or rapid heartbeart or any other type of pain. I feel fine other than this pain that comes and goes. Just wondered if it could be some type of muscle pull or strain.This pain only occurs when I feel the need to burp and the air is coming up my throat. Its very strange.I guess if it continues on through the weekend I will go see my doctor. I suffer from anxiety so my mind is constantly on this which doesnt help at all.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later

Pain in the chest in a young female above the right breast & shoulder with history of lifting heavy weight suggest some muscular pull or sprain of neck muscles.

Such pain can also be due to minor nerve compression in the cervical region, as there is history of lifting weights.

As pain is not accompanied with any other discomfort like tachycardia, dyspnea, tachypnea, it suggests minor injury or trauma of muscular in origin in the neck.

Pain is of short duration and low in intensity it again signifies minor nature.

As pain occurs following particular movement of arm and following belching or burping it suggests some minor nerve irritation or compression.

Since your pain is minor and of short duration, it should subside within a few days with simple analgesic or local application.

If it still persists, in case you don't get any relief or pain hampers your routine work, evaluation from orthopedic doctor is worthwhile.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”

Follow-up: What is the reason for pain in the right side chest above chest when belched ? 22 hours later
Thank You very much. I really figured it probably was a pulled muscle or a nerve. But being an anxiety sufferer I always worry over everything. Just one more question though? The pain shoots across the
top of my breast and down close to my armpit, is this normal with muscle or nerve pain?
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 55 minutes later

Thanks for getting back to me.

Pain radiating or shooting to different areas points more towards a nerve pain.

Nerve pains occur off & on with movements of particular part.

Muscular pull pain is generally more constant & also cause little swelling at site of sprain or pull.

So pain shooting over top of your breast & armpit appear more of nerve in origin.

There are certain pains which are known as referred or radiating pain which occur at different place than site of disease or injury,

Hope I have answered your query, Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery.