What is the reason for pain in the knuckles ?

Question
I have pain in my right pinky knouckle when I press down on the knoockle. It does not hurt if I open and close my hand but it does hurt if I move my pinky toward my thumb. I fist hurt it playing glof while taking a HUGE divot. Howevder, day to day it does not bother me all that much.
I am male 44 215lbs.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 30 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

From the moderate intensity pain that you are having, this knuckle pain can be due to sprain or strain or tendinitis (inflammation of the tendons).

Chances of a fracture are less likely because there would have been tremendous pain, swelling and restriction of movement in that case. To confirm the diagnosis, best would be to get an x-ray (to rule out fractures) and a MRI scan (to confirm cold compresses on the knuckles and take some anti inflammatory pain killers like Ibuprofen after prescription from your doctor. Give complete rest to the part and avoid doing any activity like playing golf which aggravates the symptoms.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: What is the reason for pain in the knuckles ? 1 hour later
Thanks for the response. My biggest concern is hurt myself last year and I rested my hand and did not play golf for the winter (5 months) and it came right back. Could I have just reinjuried myself or do you think it just never healed.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Since you had hurt yourself last year and now having pain again, it looks like you reinjured the knuckle especially the healed lesion of last year. Had it not healed the last time it happened it would have caused pain throughout the winters as well.

Any fresh trauma to a healed injury can cause the symptoms again but diagnosis for any MRI scan of the area.

Regards.