What is the reason for pain in the groin area?

hey, ive got a strong pain in my groin area that began 24 hours ago. thinking that it is a pulled groin, but asking whether it could be dvt? its accompanied by discomfort when i go to lift my leg to the point where it helps if i lift it manually with my hands when moving positions. its literally coming from the crease between the leg and body/scrotal area. worse when i stretch the groin on that side, does not appear to be swollen, but is present pain.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Follow-up: What is the reason for pain in the groin area? 22 minutes later
did you receive this question? thanks. pain is worse when i spread my left leg outward as though to stretch. right side is fine.
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 4 hours later

I am of the opinion that it is not DVT (Deep Vein Throbosis), because the symptoms and signs of DVT would be very dramatic.

Features of DVT would be:
1. Changes in skin color (redness)
2. Skin that feels warm to the touch
3. Swelling (edema) of one leg

I am sure that you couldn't have missed any these signs if you had them.

I would say that this is a simple case of muscle pull. As you have specifically mentioned the site of pain (from the crease between the leg and body/scrotal area), this further confirms it. Because muscle pull usually occurs across a joint. In your case it is the hip joint.

The causes of muscle pull are:
1. Putting the muscle into use without proper preparation
Eg: Practising kicks with out a warm up and stretch session.
2. Increase strain on the muscle
Eg: Sudden increase in the weights in a GYM workout.

My advice would be to:
1. Rest the limb.
2. Gentle massage to the pain site.
3. Warm water bath to the affected area will help.
4. If the pain does not subside by the above measures. You can take some analgesics like IBUPROFEN which will be available as an over-the-counter medication at your nearest pharmacy.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.