What is the reason for pain in my throat in the area of my thyroid?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
For the last week and a half I have been getting a slight pain in my throat in the area of my thyroid. It tends to get worse some times when I take a deep breath and it some times is hard to swallow. I do have hyperthyroid and I thought that maybe this had something to do with it but I went to the doctor and they said that seems to be no nodules or swelling that they can feel. I'm getting a little worried because this has been going on for almost two weeks. Some times I'll feel the pain right over the thyroid area, sometimes it will pulsate on the sides of my neck and sometimes when I take a deep breath it hurts by my lungs. The pain is not extremely severe and my throat is not sore. The pain seems to be kind of dull. Could this possibly be some kind of infection? Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Likely to be infection or allergy. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The slight pain in the throat that you are having is likely to be due to a mild swelling in the vocal cords or pharynx that can be related to a minor infection- bacterial or viral or an allergy. Any thyroid nodules are not likely since it has been ruled out after an examination. Usually such infections resolve spontaneously in 3-5 days time. If they worsen, you need appropriate antibiotics. I suggest the following treatment options currently: 1) You can have salt water gargles (gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids. Gargling with warm water mixed with dissolvable aspirin can give additional benefits. 2) Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Sour Substances. 3) Consume plenty of water and good fruits and vegetables. Antibiotics - broad spectrum are a must if you worsen - develop high grade fever, severe pain while swallowing and so on. So seek prompt medical help as and when required. Proper antibiotic therapy will help you in faster recovery. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What is the reason for pain in my throat in the area of my thyroid? 20 minutes later
Thank you. Are there any antibiotics I can buy over the counter?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Azithromycin. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. You can get Azithromycin- Z pack. It may be available without a prescription. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards