What is the reason for pain and swelling in hand wrist?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My Mother's age 60 left hand wrist is swollen. We had shown it to specialist doctor at my hometown. He said the problem is because of veins.Even in X-ray nothing is detected. The pain is continuous and for time being my mother is using ayurvedic oil.
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 25 hours later
Brief Answer: Seems to be due to synovitis or tendonitis. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. From description pain and swollen wrist seems to be due to synovitis or tendonitis. As xray is normal arthritic changes and bony injury is ruled out. Giving rest to the wrist will be helpful to decrease the swelling , pain and inflammation. She can use wrist band or crepe bandage compression. She can take anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required to control pain and inflammation. Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help. If pain and swelling persist even after this, MRI of wrist joint might required to reach the diagnosis. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care Warm Regards