What is the reason for my swollen wrist?

I have a swollen vein at the top inside of my right wrist. It pops out and causes pain, 8 on a scale from 0-10. I had disc replacement surgery in February. All the tingling and discomfort was resolved but now I'm battling chronic neck and shoulder pain, surgery site pain, spasms in my shoulder blades, and the most difficult pain: my swollen wrist. It appears to be a bubble too close to the vein, so my doctor's referring me to a neurologist. What do you think? I take no narcotics, only Tylenol, Ibuprofin, and flexeril , and armour for thyroid. Thanks for listening.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later

The pain on the right wrist seems to be very severe and is not related to swelling of the vein.

It is due to some inflammation in the right wrist which is swollen.

It can be an inflammation in and around the wrist (arthritis) or tendinitis.

It requires a detailed evaluation.

Wrist pain is not related to your surgery or underlying Cervical spondylosis.

Chronic neck pain, shoulder pain and pain at the site of surgery is due to underlying cervical spondylosis in you.

Surgery was done in you to correct major herniated discs and minor or smaller ones were not corrected and was not required.

These minor discs can cause stiffness and pain. Post surgery muscles and structures around the neck may be stiff and cause sometimes pain and one can get rid of these by neck and shoulder exercises (physiotherapy).

XXXXXXX a neurologist and confirm the same from him.

Hope i have answered your query. I will be available for follow up.