What is the reason for missed period and brown discharge?

Am an overweighted 32 old, My period is due on the 28 of each month never late never early.. me and my husband have been trying for baby since 3 months.. I took 2 courses of clomid, monogon and duphstone but it didn't work.. So we tried the iui this time.. First I took the clomid ( 1 pill at a day) starting from the second day of my period (2-jul) till ( 6-jul) then I took 2 injection of monogon.. On 14-jul I took the ovulation injection and on 16-jul I got the iui done and started with the duphstone ( 3 pills a day).. My period was due on 29-jul but I missed it .. I did the HPT on 31-jul but it came out negative and I did the blood test on the 2-aug and it came out negative too.. On the same day (2-aug) I start having brown discharge when I wipe with cramps but no breast tender.. I talk to the nurse and she advised to quite the duphstone so to got my period since the blood test came out negative.. Now am on 4-aug and I still have this brown discharge when I wipe with 1 or 2 light spots ! What does it mean ? Is it my period ? Taking into consideration that the last 2 times when I was on clomid and duphstone I had my periods on due date ! So why the missed period now and why the brown discharge ? My doc is away and will be back on late September but I can't wait till that time.. Am so confused and worry !
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 11 hours later

Thanks for the query

You took Monogan means FSH, LH combination as well as clomiphene citrate for the induction of ovulation.

I would like to know few more things as this would help me in suggesting you better:
1. Were there any mature follicles ?
2. What is your FSH and LH ratio ?
3. What about the endometrial thickness?
4. What was the size of follicle when injection hCG was given?

Regarding brownish discharge, can be due to withdrawal bleeding from Duphastan as your pregnancy test is negative.

Missed abortion also causes brownish discharge but in that case the test would have been positive.
It is better to go for an ultrasound to exclude Ectopic pregnancy.

Implantation bleeding doesn't last for such a long period.

I would like to provide you with specific suggestions after knowing the answers of the above questions.

Please do not worry.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: What is the reason for missed period and brown discharge? 4 hours later
Hi.. Thanks slot for your response..

1- yes I had 2 mature folicals (2.24cm) and (2.20cm), also there was a third one but too small (1.8cm)..
2-I didn't do any test for fsh and LH.. Am planning to do one on the 21 day of my next period ( as I think am not pregnant now)
3- how can I test this one ?
4- didn't check for this one also..

it seems my doctor is not really interested to know these info..!
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 8 hours later
Hello ,
Thanks for the reply

Yes you get your FSH levels done on third day of the cycle.
It is better to go for pure FSH injections rather than combinations.
Pure form comes in 75 IU and 150 IU , start with 75 IU on 3rd , 5th and 7th day.
Get your follicular study done from 11-14th day of the cycle.
As soon as there is mature follicle injection hCG should be given and IUI is done on these days.
What is the sperm count and motility ?
You can take duphastan in the post ovulatory period and if pregnancy occurs then can continue with it.
Best wishes