What is the reason for low temperature, getting cold and hair loss?

Hello lately i usually have low temperature and sometimes i suddenly really get cold for no reason and this concerns me. I am usually tired, lately i am loosing much more hair than normal. What do you think i should do? Thank you
Posted Tue, 17 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Problems apparently due to Thyroid Problem Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. Firstly, you have not mentioned your age or gender. However, from the limited information provided by you, the commonest possibilities are :- * Thyroid Problem - Hypothyroidism (inadequate production of Thyroid hormone), which - in addition to your symptoms- also manifest with weight gain, lethargy, easily fatigued, menstrual irregularities in females, coarse dry skin, puffiness of face, enlarged tongue, constipation- just to name a few. HYPOTHYROIDISM IS THE MOST LIKELY CAUSE of your problems. # COURSE OF ACTION :- - Get your Thyroid Hormone levels estimation (Free T3, Free T4, TSH) done. - If diagnosis is confirmed, replacement therapy with oral Thyroid hormone will result in gradual and steady improvement over the next few months. Please note that Thyroid hormone is the slowest hormone to exhibit its effects. # Chronic Mental Stress/anxiety/Depression :- In this case, a regular, long-term course of anti-depressant + anti-anxiety drug will be highly beneficial. # Malnutrition with protein/multi-mineral and vitamin deficiencies. In this case, a high calorie, protein rich, low fat diet with vitamins + mineral supplements will gradually overcome your problems. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion and clinical acumen; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What is the reason for low temperature, getting cold and hair loss? 33 hours later
Thank you very much. I am a Female 36 years old. I agree with a thyroid problem, but I did all the hormonal tests and they came out ok. For 5-6 month's (March-August) I did have irregular period ( back to normal since last 2 month's) , i had a month in which I gained some inecpected small weight, but in general I have always same weight (102 for 5'1") lately I lost a bit of weight , I was having skin problems, some hair loss and in those month's i has very bad fibrocistic brest pain , it is back to normal since 2 month's. I still continue to have fatigue, LOW body temperature, some Hair loss, stronger allergies...i feel something is not ok. What tests you think i Should still perform. Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possibilities : stress disroder, PCOS or Thyroid Detailed Answer: Hi there, Nice hearing back from you. * I presume that thyroid hormonal test was done prior to March. The test report may have been inaccurate. I will suggest that you have it repeated from a DIFFERENT lab this time and get the more sensitive test (FREE T3, FREE T4 & TSH) this time. * On the other hand, assuming that the thyroid hormone report was normal, I would ascribe your symptoms to mental stress/anxiety with some degree of depression. * Possibility of Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) cannot be ruled out. This condition too is characterized by symptoms that you are undergoing. With the additional information at my disposal, the best course of action NOW, would be to :- Consult a Psychiatrist and Gynecologist (for hormonal imbalance due to possible PCOS) and discuss my opinion with them in great detail. They may order additional investigations if required, and- based on the test reports- reach to the final diagnosis and advise you on the best course of action. Please DO NOT LOSE HOPE, as your problems are treatable. To summarize :-- 1. Repeat thyroid hormone test from a different lab. 2. Consult a Psychiatrist for stress disorders. Give a trial of two months' treatment. I am sure that you will feel much better, with most of your problems solved. 3. Consult a gynecologist, who would rule out/diagnose PCOS. Depending on the test reports, further course of action would be explained by him to you. 4. Adopt a healthy life: a well-balanced diet, regular exercises/workout; no alcohol; meditation. Please do revert back with the respective specialists' opinion and outcome of the tests ordered by them. Lastly, you have mentioned about "stronger allergies". I wish you elaborate on them, if you do have them. I will always be at your assistance to answer your queries, if any. Take care Dr. Rakesh Karanwal