What is the reason for loose stool with red colouring?

Have had a very loose stool that contained red bits throughout, it coloured the toilet water a diluted red. i did have quite of amount of beetroot for my dinner last night and am not experiencing any other discomfort. i'm 180 lbs, 38 years old and in fairly good health
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later

Bright red discoloration of the stools could be due to bleeding in the rectum, but can also occur due to ingestion of beets, red Jell-O or Kool-Aid.

Since the history given mentions the ingestion of beet root, it is definitely the cause of the red discoloration of the stools in your case. You need not be worried about any testing as long as you are asymptomatic.

Symptoms that you need to be aware of include - fever, abdominal cramps, pain during bowel movements. Such symptoms indicate the presence of conditions including infective dysentery, parasitic infestation or enteritis.

In your case, the discoloration of the stools will subside within a few days and normal stool color will eventually return.

I hope this helps.

I shall be available for any follow up questions that you might be having.