What is the reason for lethargy,severe weakness and rapid breathing when down with cold?

My wife has had this nasty cold that is going around and has been lying down in bed for the last 24 hours or so. She tried getting up and taking a shower this morning, and when she got in the shower she felt like she might throw-up, but she sat on the toilet and went to the bathroom and then felt better. She then proceeded to try to finish the shower, and her fingers started getting numb and tingly. She got out of the shower and tried to dry off but her hands were getting all stiff and tingly and were in kinda a frozen state. She was breathing rapidly when I came in to help, and I sat her back on the bed. I got her dried off and after a couple of minutes she calmed down and her feeling and use of her fingers returned. Is this something more serious than a cold?
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Respiratory condition/infection needs diagnosis Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. The cold is obviously a home-made diagnosis sir. I would recommend a visit to your doctor, as various respiratory tract infections can result in lethargy and severe weakness that can also restrict or inhibit normal breathing for an individual. This difficulty in breathing can result in exhaustion and also in a reduced delivery of oxygen to the brain and lungs. This in turn can cause the tactile impairment, which was indeed temporary. This is one of the possibilities that could have resulted in such a presentation. I do not wish to alarm you, but other possibilities include a circulatory abnormality or one to do with the cardiovascular system. This is why I wish to confirm the respiratory condition which is more likely taking into consideration her respiratory and cold-like symptoms, in order to rule out these more serious conditions. I hope you understand why I am requesting a visit to the doctors. I hope this visit to your doctor helps clarify our doubts, and in turn also leads to a prescription of medications that help your wife recover rapidly and more effectively. Please also feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you sir. Best wishes.