What is the reason for itchy patches with little blister on finger joints when washing hands?

Recently I have experienced intensely itchy patches which have little blisters on my finger joints especially when I have to frequently wash my hands . After the itch passes the joint is left permanently inflamed to the point of loss of full motion in the finger. An extreme bout occurred when I was looking after my new grandson and using the hand-sanitiser recommended by the nurse. Looking at this website, although the description of my problem seems to be closest to Atopic dermatitis because I have had the allergies and asthma (as a child) which indicate a proclivity to this problem the photographs of dyshidrotic excema most clearly shows the little blisters although thankfully it has never occurred on my feet.Now I am afraid every time this occurs anticipating worse permanent damage. Is there anything I can do to prevent this. Obviously I never use hand-sanitisers now.
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possible allergy to hand-washers/sanitiziers.... Detailed Answer: Hi, The itchy patches with little blister on your finger joints, especially when your wash your hands frequently could be: - a possible allergy due to hand-washing soaps - allergy to hand-sanitizer - fungal infection You are saying that such itchy patches occur only when you wash your hands frequently and use hand sanitizers. As you have stopped using hand sanitizer, I'd also suggest to use only gentle hypo-allergic soaps. Try to avoid over-washing of your hands. Keep them well dried and use hypo-allergic hand-moisturizers to keep your hands well moistened. If the itching will not improve, then, can ask for an examination of skin for fungal infection to get it properly treated with any topical antifungal. All the best! Dr.Alba Feel free to ask other questions you might have!