What is the reason for itching in groin area?

I have itching in the part where my legs and groin join.I have been having this itch for more than ayear.I feel bad when iam wearing tight clothes like XXXXXXX when air flow is not there.I think that is jock itch but iam really afraid to go to any doctor and tell about this .I am not married im a male 27 years old.Even i got lot of white colour dirt when that part is rubbed with hand while bathing every day.I had body level sex before a year few times but have never done intercourse i doubt whether some infections also have spread because of this (3 to 4 times).
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 17 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

Please don't be embarrassed about this. It’s not related to sexual encounters you had. It looks like simple groin fungal infection.

Many antifungal creams can clear the condition in around two weeks. Examples of such preparations include those that contain clotrimazole (Cruex cream, Desenex cream, Lotrimin cream, lotion, and solution), miconazole (Monistat-Derm cream), ketoconazole(Nizoral cream), econazole (Spectazole), naftifine (Naftin), and terbinafine (Lamisil cream and solution) - Any one cream can be used.

Rarely systemic treatment may be needed with antifungal tablet like griseofulvin (Fulvicin, Grifulvin, and Gris-PEG).

Minimizing sweat and moisture can help prevent fungal infections.

Hope this helps. Please ask if I have left any of your query unanswered or if there are any doubts.

Follow-up: What is the reason for itching in groin area? 49 minutes later
I have used clotrimazole before few months.When i use that it vanishes in a week for some time.Then after 2-3 weeks it agin comes back .Is there a permanent treatment for this.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 7 hours later
Thanks for follow up Question.

Fungal infections are known to recur even with proper treatment.It's quite typical of fungal infection.

You need to use antifungal creams for longer duration, even after infections has resolved. Also follow good hygiene strictly. The area needs to be kept clean and dry. Wear cotton undergarments so that the skin can breathe.

If this fails, then you will need systemic/oral medications as suggested in previous reply.

Hope this answers your question.