What is the reason for irregular periods after stopping birth control pills?

Mar 2013
through the month of september I took my birth control off and on and the first week of October I got my period. after having my period I decided to just quit taking my birth control and decided wed try to get pregnant. its now almost 2 months since that period and I havent had anything but slight cramps and white creamy discharge. I took a test a couple days ago and it was negative but im still not satisfied. .. although some people have told me I won't ovulate until I have a normal period totally off birth control. any suggestions?
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: POST PILL AMENORRHOEA, CAN WAIT FOR A FEW DAYS. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. After stopping birth control, it might take some time for the hormonal levels to adjust and to come to normal. Some women take upto 3 - 6 months to resume ovulation and normal periods. What you describe sounds very much like - post pill amenorrhoea. What is to be done it this - if the pregnancy tests are negative , you are not pregnant, that is a reasonable certainty ( these tests are upto 97 % reliable in diagnosing a pregnancy ) . Wait it out, as normal periods should resume within a couple of months after coming off birth control. For the time being, if you miss your period in the first week of December too, then visit your gynecologist for the following - 1. Internal check up ( per vaginum and per speculum ) 2. Pelvic ultrasound scan 3. Hormonal measurement - FSH, LH, TSH, Prolactin. All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.