What is the reason for increasing the dosage of thyronorm during pregnancy?

Radiologist, Nuclear Medicine
Question
Is the below mentioned dosage during 1st trimester is appropriate: 7-8th Week: Thyronorm 75mcg for 5 days, Thyronorm 50mcg for 2 days 9-10thWeek:Thyronorm 75mcg for 6 days, Thyronorm 50mcg for 1 day 11-12thWeek:Thyronorm 75mcg for all 7 days. Currently my Free T4 and TSH are within the range then why I as asked to increase the dose as mentioned above.
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Reply Detailed Answer: In pregnancy there may be higher requirement of Thyronorm as it's very important to keep the patient normothyroid the dose of Thyronorm needs to be adjusted to achieve the same. Thyroxine requirements increase by 25-30% during pregnancy with increased requirements seen as early as the fifth week of pregnancy. Children born to women whose hypothyroidism was inadequately treated in pregnancy are at increased risk of neuropsychological impairment. There fore there is requirement of augmented dose as prescribed by your Doctor however periodic monitoring of Free T4 and Sr TSH is important too. with best wishes and thanks from Dr Chowhan

Follow-up: What is the reason for increasing the dosage of thyronorm during pregnancy? 9 hours later
Does that mean that based on my current TSH value there is a need to increase the Thyronorm dose every 2 weeks once.

Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Reply Detailed Answer: The dose has to be augmented keeping in view your current TSH level and the requirement in first trimester. Hope the dose increase was suggested by an Endocrinologist; if so please follow his/her advice. As regards monitoring the dose is concerned it is always beneficial to keep track and monitor by regular TSH assay. with best wishes Dr Chowhan

Follow-up: What is the reason for increasing the dosage of thyronorm during pregnancy? 11 minutes later
My next test is advised to e taken after 6 weeks. Yes it is suggested by Endocrinologist whereas my Gynic dint not suggest me any increase of dosage.

Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Reply Detailed Answer: You should follow advice given by your treating Endocrinologist as they are aware about this important issue of dose adjustment keeping in mind your first trimester of pregnancy. with best wishes Dr Chowhan