What is the reason for headache and eye pain when I wake up ?

HI i am a 42 year old male and for the past year,
I wake up with a headache and eye pain.I take .05mg of alprazolam perday and noticed if i increase the dosage the headache will decrease.
Also i snore alot wich ithink could have something to do with it?.
I was treated for depression and took 125mg per day of nortryptilin, Wich made me feel great!
But in my country the do not have it.

any suggestion would be appreciated.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 30 minutes later

There are many causes of morning headache.
Stress, Depression, Smoking, Poor Sleep due to Snoring and Intracranial lesion.

Your headache is likely related to multiple factors such as smoking, depression and snoring.

You should cut down on your smoking. Alprazolam helps in stress related headaches. However, taking in long term can cause day time sleepiness and dullness.

You can consider doing regular exercise which will help you with your mood and headache too. Weight reduction will help. Also consider good sleep - wake cycle. Regular timings, no caffeine and restricting alcohol can help.

Do consult your physician for an alternative for Nortryptiline. I also suggest sleep studies and thyroid function tests.

Hope this answers your query.

Please get back if you need any further information.

Thanks and Regards
Dr Kiran