What is the reason for having swooshing sound in ear while bending down?

ENT Specialist
Question
swooshing sound in right ear often when I move or bend down.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Thank you for your query.
The swooshing sound that you hear in your right ear is known as tinnitus. This sound will be either pulsatile (matching with arterial pulse rate) or a non pulsatile venous 'hum'. This type of tinnitus is due to turbulent blood flow.
Since it occurs or changes when you move or bend down, it may also be related to change in blood pressure and the calcification plaque in your jugular vein.
Other cause such as cervical spondylosis may be considered if there is accompanying dizziness. Tinnitus may also be drug induced.
There are many other causes which may be ruled out on further investigation such as ear examination, hearing tests, CT/ MRI scans and so on. You may discuss this with your physician.
Treatment will depend on whether a cause is identified or not. You can upload your test results here under the “Upload your reports” section to discuss further treatment options.
I hope I have answered your query. Please reply back with the answers and I will be able to help you further.

Follow-up: What is the reason for having swooshing sound in ear while bending down? 4 hours later
Thank you for your response.
I am somewhat concerned that there might be a plaque that could dislodge. I have generally low BP, but have neck problem. I have a herniated disk in my neck and manage it is much as I can. Like so many people in the US, I am currently going for my second career and at my age it is quite daring, but I am currently in Nursing School. (second semester). I study so much and sit so much and exercise very little. Plus I have a slightly raised cholesterol issue ( its in the family). I also am out of breath very easily. A couple of years ago I had a stress test and all seamed fine then Anyhow, somehow I thought tinnitus had a ringing sound to it, and I know you will tell me to see a doctor. In any case....I am studying so hard right now that I cannot seem to find the time. I guess I could research myself, but at this point I guess I would like to hear what might be causing this and a degree of importance to see a doctor. THank you again

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

99% cases Tinnitus are not XXXXXXX The chances of diagnosing the cause is very low. Hence you can concentrate on this only if it worsens.

As long as the Tinnitus does not interfere with your daily life and is tolerable, you may choose to ignore it after the basic tests mentioned above are done (and normal).

Plaque bulid-up and clacifications in the vessels are age related changes and affect everybody. However you can take active steps to lower your cholesterol and lipid profile. If your stress test is fine, you may get a Cardiac 2D Echo and Chest X-ray done.

Since you are studying nursing, you will understand that modern medicine is evidence based. There is no benefit in postulating and guessing the cause and issues such as when a certain plaque may dislodge.