What is the reason for gaining weight with cocaine usage?

why I have been gaining weight instead of losing weight while on cocaine
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Its not necessary to loose weight Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Cocaine causes release of nor epinephrine and hence can lead to increased metabolism leading to weight gain. However the same happens only over a period of time and not acutely or over a period of few months. Moreover sometimes it is seen that cocaine can cause increase in weight as well by increasing anxiety which leads to increased appetite. All said weight is a very dynamic variable and not dependent on drug use only. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Follow-up: What is the reason for gaining weight with cocaine usage? 26 hours later
so if my metabolism is increased by using the cocaine why am I not losing weight at all I've gained probably 10 pounds . I don't get very hyper or anxious on the cocaine I know that's what people do on speed but I'm not going to change drugs if not just quit the cocaine . I'm just frustrated because that was one of the main purpose is for me to lose weight do you have any other ways I can lose weight I did just have a back fusion a lumbar fusion so I cantexercise do you know any other way I can lose weight
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Other ways to loose weight Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow-up question. As I said weight of a person is determined by multiple factors and only starting on cocaine will not reduce the weight. Exercise would have been the best option. However it appears that because of your back surgery exercising is not possible. The other option would be to start on Metformen or Topiramate. Both of them may reduce the weight. But the results are not very clear. Hope that helps Regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy