What is the reason for fever and rash on the body after chickenpox and MMR vaccine?

My son received his Chicken Pox vaccine and MMR vaccine on Monday 8/8/11 in the morning. By Wednesday noon he had a rash on the lower half of his body. By late afternoon it had spread to his whole body with a low grade fever of about 100 degrees. His disposition was normal and happy. I called his Drs office and they said that even though a rash and fever are normal after the vaccines, it doesn't happen until 3-10 days after receiving the shots. Since this was only 2.5 days they thought it was unrelated. They said to call back if it spreads, gets raised, or if he gets a fever over 102. Today it seemed to have spread to his face and to be a bit worse on the lower half of his body so I called again. They said to give him some benadryl. When he woke up from his nap he had XXXXXXX poop and the rash wasn't any better. What I would like to know: is this normal for the vaccine? And is the XXXXXXX poop a side effect or another symptom of something more serious? Thank you
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Vaccinations
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 14 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

I have to say that all of these symptoms at this point make me worried enough that I have to recommend that you take him in for an evaluation at the doctors office or if it will take more than a few hours to do so then I think you should take him to an emergency department. I have to say I have not seen this type of reaction before and I wonder if he was somehow allergic to one of the preservatove in the vaccine.

If it is not related at all to the vaccine it could be a viral syndrome but in the absence of being able to examine him right now and do lab studies then I have to recommend you take him for a comprehensive evaluation which may involve laboratory testing in addition to the examination.

I hope you understand again why I think he should be evaluated sooner rather than wait at this point. I again thank you for the query and if you have any additional followups I am available to address them.

Dr. Galamaga