What is the reason for feeling hot even when it is just warm outside ?

Question
I'm a 62 year old man and I feel hot even when it's only warm outside.I've had to quit my job. I also have fatigue. Is it my meds or could it be an illness that my doctors don't know about? I really concerned about the "hot " thing.I have some depression also. And my testosterone is low. I am being treated for that. Is it all in my head? The doctors don't even pay attention to me any more. Do I need to see a specialist. I am seeing a blood Doctor in August for my 130 platelet concern.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Hot flushes is generally caused by hormonal imbalance. In men it is usually caused by low testosterone. Prostate causes and cancer therapy decreases the amount of testosterone in the system because testosterone can fuel tumors.

In your case the low testosterone may be responsible for the hot flushes which you are describing as feeling warm. The typical male testosterone level is between 250ng/dl to 850 ng/dl. Although it’s normal for testosterone levels to drop as men age, low testosterone can cause loss of libido, erectile dysfunction, mood problems, fatigue, and sleep disturbances.

I suggest you to follow up with your doctor and take the treatment for low testosterone regularly. Also get evaluated your PSA levels and get a thyroid evaluation test (for hyperthyroidism) done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: What is the reason for feeling hot even when it is just warm outside ? 11 hours later
So what about my fatigiue? Is that from the meds or could that also be from low testosteorne levels?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 13 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

It is true that low testosterone can also cause fatigue but the three drugs that you are taking i.e. Restoril, lorazepam and Celexa also have fatigue as their side effects and sometimes it can be found in 5 % population.

Talk to your doctor and get the dose of these drugs monitored. This may help with fatigue.

Regards.