What is the reason for episodes of sudden memory loss after severe stomach flu due to food poisoning?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
severe flu like symptoms 7 days ago, thought to be food poisoning with vomiting for 2 days, but continued diarhea...but only 2-3x a day now...but sudden moments where I will be driving and forget where I am or where I am going, then more severe memory issues where I am in the middle of building a common spreadsheet/report for work (- that I build weekly,) and - even though I am a master at Micrososft Office, more readily EXCEL, I completely lost all track of how to achieve ANY functions on my sheets - in the middle of building it..this has happened on smaller instances in the past 4-5 days, but I am scared of what is causing this. OH - I am also feeling extremely ...whats the word - where I feel like i am trapped in a tight place...or can't stand to be in the middle of a crowd. What on earth is causing these horrid things that are going to lose me my job?
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: May be electrolyte imbalance due to diarrhoea. Detailed Answer: Hello Based on your description, the symptoms may be related to electrolyte imbalance secondary to diarrhoea. Besides that other possibilities such as multiple sclerosis, vitamin deficiency and metabolic abnormalities need to be considered as the cause of your symptoms. I am concerned about your symptoms and I would refer you to a competent neurologist who can order for routine blood test that checks your electrolyte level, vitamin assays and other metabolities. If required, your doctor may advise to do MRI brain and Evoked Potential Tests for Multiple Sclerosis [MS]. If all test and examination comes normal then an advice from psychiatrist need to be taken. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.