What is the reason for dropping BP with the pacemaker in the heart?

my husband has a pacemaker defibrilator with the pacemaker set at 70. He's had this unit several years He has a-fib, and mitral valve leakage. The pacemaker has run the heart around 70 for most of the years, with testing saying the heart is about 99% dependant on the device. The last 12 t0 18 hrs., his blood pressure has been running around 72 to 75 over 45 to 50. Pulse around 50 to 60. He has just returned to exercise in the last few months after recoveringfrom a hthr revision. He was on his bicycle today, riding about 30 miles in 2 1/2 to 3 hours with rest stops. ????
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 10 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX Walton,

The current blood pressure readings show that he is hypotensive.

Do you remember his blood pressure recordings in the past?

Does he have symptoms such as cold peripheries, dizziness or light headedness, blackouts, etc?

If his blood pressure was normally higher than the present values with his heart rate at 70's, and now it has dropped (both pressure and heat rate) or if has the symptoms, then this could be due to a malfunction either in the pacemaker or its leads.

He might need a consultation with his cardiologist for proper assessment of his pacemaker and specific therapy.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.