What is the reason for delayed periods after polycyst removal? What are the chances of pregnancy?

Infertility Specialist
Hi Doctor, I did a laproscopy on 24th August 2013 for my PCOS and found during lap that my system are normal, polycyst are removed. I have been trying to concieve from last two years. After lap , first month i got my period on time. 2nd month i did ovulation monitoring and it ruptured on 15th day however my period delayed for a week with -ve preg test. Now i took a break from doctor and didnt do ovulation monitoring too. Doctor asked me to take 2 months break and gave fertisure F tablet. Now i am in 3rd month after lap, today is 32nd day, i did home test and it is -ve. Will there be a chance for me to get pregnant this month ? If not why my period is delaying? Thanks a lot XXXXX
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Periods delayed due to anovulation/progesterone. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX There is 25-30% chance of conception if you had ovulation (which you have not confirmed) & had intercourse around ovulation. As of now we don't know whether ovulation occurred or not. To be on positive side we can assume that ovulation had occurred & there is chance of conception. If ovulation had occurred, you can wait for one more week & do home pregnancy test after 7 days if you don't get menses. If after 7 days, pregnancy test is negative, there are two possibilities, one of delayed ovulation & pregnancy & other of anovulation. You can confirm it by serum progesterone after 7 days if pregnancy test comes negative. Coming to your second question of delayed period, last cycle period might have been delayed if you received progesterone (oral/vaginal) after ovulation. This cycle delayed period might be due to pregnancy/delayed ovulation/anovulation. For achieving pregnancy, my advice is to go ahead with 4-6 cycles of ovulation induction in continuity, which will give you 70-80% chance of pregnancy if everything is normal. Hope this helps you. Let me know if you having other concerns. Regards.
Follow-up: What is the reason for delayed periods after polycyst removal? What are the chances of pregnancy? 12 minutes later
Thank you so much for your response. However my next question is, it was told to me that i will ovulate normally after lap, and it happened in the first two months and hence i didnt do the monitoring for the 3rd month. Also, I had the feeling of rupture around 15 to 20 days of my period with back pain and white discharge. Considering delayed ovulation, will there be a chance for pregnancy? (I have feeling that annovulation is not my case ) Also, in this month i had kind of white discharge on most of the days after 15th day. Is this normal or does it indicate anything? even now i get a very small whitish discharge when i pass urine. Is this normal ? Thanks again XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pregnancy possible with delayed ovulation. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. Pregnancy is possible if you had intercourse around the time of ovulation, even when ovulation was delayed. If you had ovulation on 20th day, you can check for pregnancy on around 40th day if no menses (to avoid false negative results). Slight discharge is normal in women in reproductive period (15-45 years) due to hormones in the body. If it is not foul smelling & not associated with itching, no need to bother for it. Let me know if you have other concerns. If not, you can close the discussion & rate the answer. I will be happy to help if you have other queries. Wish you good health. Regards.
Follow-up: What is the reason for delayed periods after polycyst removal? What are the chances of pregnancy? 39 hours later
Thank you very much for your response doctor. One more clarification needed. Will there be a chance for anovulation even after laproscopy? I have heard from my doctor atleast for 6 months i will ovulate normally as PCOS are removed. And it is just the 3rd month. Could you please help me to clarify on this?
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Depends on severity before laparoscopy. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. Chance of ovulation/anovulation after laparoscopy depends on severity of PCOS before surgery. As you had spontaneous ovulation for 2 cycles after laparoscopy, it's highly likely that further few cycles (3-6) will be ovulatory. Hope this helps you in relieving anxiety. Regards.