What is the reason for brown mucus discharge after ovulation?

Question
Hello! Iwas diagnosed with hpv cin1 last may, my last pap showed no changes. Little before my diagnosis I started having light pink or brown mucus discharge after ovulation that lasts about 3 days, I only get it when we have sex around ovulation,we do try to get pregnant, now lately I get that same very light brown mucus the 6th and 7th day of my period, my period usually lasts 5 days. I do suffer from anxiety and this stresses me out a lot. Thank you
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Could be cervical congestion. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX I have analyzed your history, as your last PAP is normal I advise you to repeat the PAP after 6 months, or else you can even check for HPV DNA. If there is any changes, then kindly go for COLPOSCOPY and biposy, if the colposcopy is satisfactory you can wait and watch. If colposcopy is abnormal then directly go for ablation or excisional procedure of cervix. This will give a tissue diagnosis and clear picture. Your present symptom could be due to cervical congestion secondary to infection (cervicitis), I usually give vaginal antibiotic like clindamycin pessaries for a week and then reexamine my patients. I also give oral doxycycline tablets depending on the case. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!

Follow-up: What is the reason for brown mucus discharge after ovulation? 26 minutes later
I had a colposcopy that showed mild dysplasia, my last pap showed that I still have mild dysplasia that was a month ago And I would like to add that I suffer from frequent urination the last few weeks

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 28 hours later
Brief Answer: Excisional procedure will be best for you. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX I apologize for the late response; I was away from my computer due to unavoidable reasons. Coming back to your question, as your repeat test showed CIN 1, that means there is 15-30% chance of going for CIN2 and CIN3, but very less chance for developing into carcinoma cervix (less than 0.1%). In CIN 1 almost 57% of patients will have regression. Considering your age and not wanting for further children personally I feel the best option will be EXCISIONAL procedure like LEEP: loop electrosurgical excision or LASER excision. There are recommendations to go for ablation or follow up with repeat colposcopy after 12 months. But personally for you excisional procedure will be best. There are few disadvantages from excisional procedure like if you plan for pregnancy, then there are chances of preterm labor, abortions. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!