What is the reason for breast pain during pregnancy?

Mar 2013
I am 21 weeks pregnant and this started 3-4 days ago, randomly I will get a pain under my left breast.
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Breast pain is common during pregnancy due to the tremendous hormonal changes. ALso, as the uterus enlarges, it puts pressure on the stomach and other organs, pushing them upwards towards your ribcage below your breasts, leading to pain. Gastritis and acidity also presents as pain under the breast, typically on the left side. Sometimes, sleeping on one side and abnormal and difficult postures which are again common during pregnancy can lead to pain and discomfort in this area. Please apply a hot water bottle to the area. Try taking an antacid like Pantop - D if you experience acidity and gas trouble frequently. Eat light meals, and avoid eating for 3 hours before sleeping. Sleep on your back or the side which is not painful, particularly propping yourself up with soft pillows and bolsters You can apply gel like Volini with a gentle rubbing to the affected area. Try wearing well fitting bras, as breast enlargement during pregnancy can make them sag and drag, leading to pain. You can take a painkiller like Combiflam with a glass of warm milk before sleeping at night. Get yourself tested for calcium and Vitamin D deficiency. If the pain does not relent within a few days, please consult your gynecologist to rule out any breast pathology that is causing the pain. All the best Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: What is the reason for breast pain during pregnancy? 16 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. I will brief you about the pain. When i was sleeping on the left side and after taking my meal it pains randomly. Can you suggest some external remedies so that i can get releif. Is the pain safe during pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello again. The pain seems to be mostly gastritis or posture related. Firstly, wait for 2 - 3 hours before lying down after a meal. ALso, take home cooked bland foods instead of spicy, oily or greasy foods. Do not lie down on the side which is painful, as you might have pulled a muscle over there. It is better to lie on your back, with pillows supporting you. As I said, take a hot water bottle and apply it to the affected area. You can rub Volini gel on the part too. Combiflam also will help, but take it with Pantop D to avoid gastritis and acidity. Mild aches and pains are a part and parcel of pregnancy, so do not fret or worry , it is safe, as long as it is not associated with hardening or tightening of the uterus / spotting / bleeding. All the best.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Thank you for the appreciation !. You can contact me directly using the following link - WWW.WWWW.WW