What is the reason for a pimple or ingrown hair in my crotch that leaked pus and blood and smelled foul?

Question
I poped a pimple or an ingrown hair off to the side of my crotch it had leaked pus and blood that smelled really foul and I was wondering what it is I haven't had unprotected sex only sexual contact I've had was protected oral sex a few months ago
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
From the description provided it seems that you have suffered from folliculitis. The infection in the hair root is sometimes caused by anaerobic bacteria which results in a foul smelling pus.
Now that you have drained the pus, the symptoms are likely to subside.
You can clean the area properly and apply local antiseptic ointment like neosporin or bacitracin for local disinfection.
Since there is no history of an unprotected sex, it is not likely to be due to an STD.
Do not worry. You will be fine soon.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: What is the reason for a pimple or ingrown hair in my crotch that leaked pus and blood and smelled foul? 2 hours later
so is there any way of getting rid of this folliculitis or will i have it for the rest of my life should i goto my gm and have him give me an ointment

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Since the pus has drained, you can wait for 3-5 days for it to subside on its own. Local antibiotic ointment is available over the counter at all pharmacies.
If the symptoms do not improve then I encourage you to consult your physician for proper treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Regards.