What is the reason for a painless swelling in front of mons pubis?

my daughter is 11 years old (close to puberty but not yet menstrating) and has a quarter size diameter bump which looks like rounded extra tissue on her left side of the Mons Pubis. She said it doesn't hurt. Years ago, I remember asking the doctor about something that appeared to be a missing piece of tissue under that same are of her Mons Pubis. it wasn't an open sore, but appeared to be less dense, about the size of an skittle in diameter, if I recall correctly. she said it does not hurt. what should I do? What could it be?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 50 minutes later
A painless swelling in front of mons pubis can be due to the following reasons-
1.Sebaceous cyst- it happens due to blocked sebaceous gland duct and secretions get collected inside. Becomes painful if gets infected. Needs to be surgically removed on infection.
2. lipoma- collection of fat cells in an area. A harmless benign swelling usually.
3. Osteoma- A bony hard swelling due to benign bony outgrowth.
For diagnosis a careful examination is necessary. You can consult a gyneacologist for the diagnosis and further treatment as in most of such cases excision and removal of swelling is the treatment.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.