What is the reason and treatment for pain in triceps area?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
I have pain in my right tricep/bicep area. Pain has been ongoing for a few months now and is most painful at night. I had an appointment with my PCM and was given Robaxin for muscle spasms. I have felt no relief from the robaxin, I have hypothyroid and I am a 50 year old female. Just want to know how to relieve this pain.
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Probably you are suffering from tendinitis. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX From history it seems that pain is not due to muscle spasm. You didn't mentioned about any problems in shoulder and elbow joints and whether mobility is restricted or normal in these joints.These joints are related to biceps and triceps.If you give status of these joints then diagnosis will be easy. Besides history,you need proper clinical examination and investigations. Probably you are suffering from tendinitis or impingement syndrome. For diagnosis,firstly X-rays should be done.However MRI is the investigation of choice as it is best for soft tissue. Routine hemogram,RBS should also be done. If you are suffering from tendinitis then it is mostly managed conservatively. Physiotherapy in the form of exercises and deep ultrasound therapy helps a lot. Injection of local anaesthetic agents like lignocaine combined with steriods at the local site is also helpful but maximum three injections can be given due to side effects. NSAIDS and ice packs are also given for pain reduction. Proper treatment depends upon clinical findings and investigation reports. Get well soon Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What is the reason and treatment for pain in triceps area? 28 minutes later
Thank you for a timely response. The pain is at times in my shoulder and radiates to my forearm and tingling in fingers. Any effort to raise arm high or stretch results in pain, sometimes so unbearable I drop to my knees. Upon visit to PCM there was some muscle spasms. She told me heat and Robaxim. Is ice better than heat? TY.

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 20 hours later
Brief Answer: Problem is most likely due to cervical spine Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing back From history it seems that your problem is due to cervical spine. So,firstly X-ray of cervical spine in AP/Lateral view should be taken.Then MRI of cervical spine should be done to assess nerve involvement. Shoulder joint should also be clinically assessed.Further investigation depend upon clinical findings. Ice packs and heat therapy both are good for pain.You can opt any one.Conservative treatment in the form of physiotherapy will help you. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX