What is the reason and treatment for eye floaters?

I hope this is the proper forum for my medical questions. I have two, for now. I have had floaters in one eye that have been there now for maybe 3 months, although there was no obvious cause. They are dark, possibly black, consistent in shape ( one large over one small) and move together, always in unison with my eye movements, left or right or up and down. I never wear any mascara or makeup at any time. What could have caused this, what are they, and what should I do for it? My next question involves a hearing problem - also developed without a known cause. My left ear is considerably blocked (?) probably hearing less than 1/4 of my normal ability in my right ear. This has gone on for at least four months with one brief interlude of normal hearing for a few days, also without known cause. My right ear hearing is normal -as my left ear had always been. My GP looked at it a few months ago and said it shouldn't last, even though he ruled out ear wax at the time. I'm a 62 year old female, never having had either conditions previously.l Thank you for your consideration. XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: Hello and thank you for submitting your question. Regarding your vision, this definitely warrants a visit to an optometrist, possibly even an ophthalmologist. "Floaters" can be signs of retinal detachment and this should not be ignored. Regarding the onset of unilateral hearing loss, this can be due to obstruction, as you mentioned, local inflammation, or even can be age associated hearing loss, also referred to as presbycusis. This too warrants follow-up either with your general practitioner or with a neurologist to investigate further causes. Imaging could certainly be reasonable in the situation. I hope this helps answer your questions and please let me know if there are any follow-up inquiries. Dr. G