What is the real risk of combining marijuana and birth control pills? Is it life-threatening?

I've looked over tons of web sites about this issue but I can't seem to find a definite answer. My girlfriend (23) just started using birth control. She used to smoke cigarettes up until the day she got on the pill, and does smoke marijuana 2x/week on average. My question is, what is the real risk of combining marijuana and birth control pills? I know that there is a greater risk of pulmonary embolism when someone smokes cigarettes and takes birth control because of an increase in blood thickness. Would smoking a joint every once in a while while on birth control be just as life-threatening? Is there an immediate risk to someone who has just ingested marijuana and birth control, or would a possible risk manifest itself later in life?
P.s. I am looking for a definite answer regarding these specific circumstances. I am well-aware that drug use is advised against in general.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 20 hours later

Nicotine (Smoking cigarette) and marijuana induces liver enzymes and thereby decreases the efficacy of birth control pills. This effect will be seen few days to few weeks after use of either or both.

Marijuana increases risk of heart problems like pulmonary embolism, arrhythmia (irregular heart beat), etc, acutely, if the dose ingested is large (exact amount varies from person to person, heart status, etc.), whether marijuana is taken alone or with birth control pill. If the dose is small, may not be.

Long term negative effects of increased blood viscosity, heart and lung complications, heart and brain stroke, psychosis, depression, anxiety, delusion, hallucination are well known complications.

Hope you are answered.

I am available for further query.

Good luck