What is the purple discoloration in my swollen foot after taking treatment for metatarsal bone injury?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I've been treated for a 5th metatarsal bone injury. My doctor asst. keeps telling me that it is completely normal for my foot to swell up and turn purple at will. And get really cold. Like 20 degrees different. Is this true? Its been 6weeks since my injury. I was seen by an orthopedic surgeon the first time and his physician asst. the last two times. Each time I've mentioned my foot getting cold and swelling up at all times of the day and night. With it turning purple at will. I'm told this is normal for the healing process. The orthopedic surgeon asked for an MRI but canceled it after my last visit. Now they want me to start pt. I'm not so sure this would be the best action for me at this time. Would it be to my best interest to pursue an MRI anyway? Or to ask for a second opinion?
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: MRI is not routinely indicated for 5 th metatarsal Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us, I have studied your case with diligence. For 5 th metatarsal fracture after 6 weeks healing should be complete and you can start physiotherapy. Hematoma collection may turn purple but it is not on and off, it resolves gradually, there can be temperature variation on hematoma collection its normal. MRI is not routinely indicated for 5 th metatarsal fracture MRI is optional to see for any ligament injury. So you can do MRI there is no harm in doing it.Second opinion is not needed. If you see any signs of infection like raised local temperature, pus collection, increase in pain then you should consult your doctor again. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.