What is the prognosis for Posterior vitreous detachment?

What is the prognosis for Posterior vitreous detachment? My opthamologist has just diagnosed me with this? What can be done? will I go blind in that eye? Is there anything I can do to stop this? thank you
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: the prognosis is usually very good Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic It is understandable that you are distressed. The vitreous humor is a ' clear gel' that fills the space between the lens of the eye and the retina (light sensitive layer at the back of the eye). The vitreous is made up of mostly water (99%), the rest of it is collagen fibrils and a substance called hyaluronic acid. The fibrils connect the vitreous to the retina. As persons age, the amount of the hyaluronic acid decreases and the vitreous humor changes and reduces in volume causing it to fall away from the retina. This is called vitreous detachment, what has just been diagnosed. It is present in a lot of persons as they age- over 75% of people over the age of 65 have this condition. It causes floaters and flashes in the eye. In terms of prognosis- the vast majority of persons recover from their symptoms. The detachment does not repair itself but the symptoms subside and in most people they are no complications (no blindness). In some people however, approx 10 % (1 in 10 persons), the vitreous detachment may cause the retina to become detached. Retinal detachment can cause loss of vision but it is important to remember most persons do not progress to this. There is no particular treatment for vitreous detachment - the main treatment would be to re assess to see if retinal detachment develops. There is nothing that you can take or use at the moment. Summary- most persons resolve with no problems Rarely complications develop I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions