What is the prognosis for 4th stage breast cancer patient with huge lump in breast?

My neice age 34 has just been diagnosed with 4th stage breast cancer. She had felt a small lump in her breast four years ago and because she has no insurance she let it go thinking it was nothing but a lump from to much caffine. Now it has gone from the size of a pea to the size of a walnut. She is about 5'4" in height and weighs around 108 lbs. She is scheduled for an MRI tomorrow. Does this mean the Drs know for sure that it has spread to other parts of her body? What is her prognosis?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Stage 4 breast cancer indicates advanced cancer and has spread to other parts of the body.

The prognosis depends on multiple factors - area of spread, presence of complications, receptor positive / negative, etc,

Though the prognosis is grave and the condition is not curable, if she gets proper treatment and if the tumor is Her2 receptor positive type then the condition can be kept under control. With proper treatment, it may very well prolong and improve her quality of life; which should be the ultimate goal.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.