What is the problem if I have severe headache and dizziness?

I have been having severe headaches over the past few weeks. A few days ago, I got dizzy and my lips went numb. A few hours later, I got dizzy again and my vision became very blurred for about 2 minutes. I had eaten properly that day. My family says I seem disoriented a lot. Tonight, my headache is accompanied by a fever 101. My mid back is a little sore on the both sides. Over the past few days I have short periods of chest pains, no one side in particular though. I am 40 years old. About 7 months ago I had round pneumonia that was cleared up in about 2 weeks with antibiotics.
Any ideas what this might be?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later
I have gone through your medical history and the reasons for your symptoms(headache,dizziness,blurring vision,fever,chest pain, ) could most probably be due to viral fever. You most often only require symptomatic treatment for headache, dizziness and they subside in a day or two. If they prolong an antibiotic course may be added.

I also could think other reasons, check these out:
1. High Blood Pressure / Low Blood Pressure(which causes headache,dizziness.blurred vision)
2. Migraine: Migraine is neurological condition which is marked by severe and recurring headaches.
3. Meneire's Disease- Meniere's disease is a disorder of the inner ear that can show symptoms like loss of hearing and dizziness

Because a disruption in the normal sleep pattern, smoking, or other lifestyle habit may trigger headaches, focusing on these may provide relief. Cluster headache sufferers may experience headaches as a result of smoking and eliminating smoking may prove beneficial.

Other headaches may be caused by certain foods. Avoidance or elimination of these foods from your diet may accompany treatment.

Acupuncture, vitamin and mineral supplements, chiropractic care, and herbs may have some affect on your headaches.
Relaxation Techniques-Some headaches can be brought on by stress and your doctor may recommend that you practice relaxation techniques or exercise more frequently in order to help you relax. Meditation may allow you to focus on your breathing, hence allowing your neck and shoulder muscles to relax.

Presently you will have to take some antipyretics(for fever),analgesics(pain killers) for your condition.
Your doctor may run several tests in order to determine the cause of the headache . These tests in combination with your medical history and a physical/neurological examination and chest x XXXXXXX with blood examinations should allow your doctor to pinpoint the cause.

Hope my answer is adequate.I am available for follow up should you have anymore concerns.