What is the possibility of contracting HIV after single penetration?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I had unprotected sex with an Asian massage girl 24 hours ago. I attempted to penetrate her vagina, but I was not fully erect (impotentence problem associated with diabetes). Shallow penetration lasted about one minute before gave up. Girl claimed to be clean. What is probability of contracting HIV from such single exposure?
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Risk of getting HIV following single exposure Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic. Having sex without a condom increases both partner’s chances of getting HIV. When you have unprotected sex, it is easy for semen, blood, and rectal fluid infected with HIV to enter your system. In addition, having unprotected sex places you at a greater risk for other sexually transmitted infections (STIs), making you even more vulnerable for contracting HIV. Once the mucosa of the genitals come in contact with each other, even for a minute pose the risk of contacting HIV. Shallow penetration also will have the risk of contacting. All forms of unprotected sex anal, vaginal, oral leave you at risk for getting HIV. The chance of contracting HIV from a single episode of unprotected vaginal sex is estimated around 0.04%. But HIV is not a game of statistics and probabilities. If you had unprotected sex, you need to get tested. It is most probably will be negative. You should get tested immediately. While there is no cure, testing and treatment can greatly reduce the chances of infection. Hope I have cleared all the doubts regarding your condition, if you any query please feel free to post the query. Thank you.