What is the posibility of contracting HIV by using electric trimmer that caused a scar on my neck?

General Surgeon
Question
I went to a Barber shop 2 hours ago. He used electric trimmer, that caused a scar on my neck. What is the posibility of contracting HIV
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Trimmer do not transmit HIV Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the Dear Mr XXXXXXX Electric hair trimmer does not transmit HIV infection. Electric hair trimmer work on the principle of oscillating blades which cut the hairs placed between them . It acts without direct skin contact. For Hiv to be transmitted there should be oozing of blood either by micro or macro cut and contact of blood with the blade directly. In trimmers there is no direct contact and cutting action us due to oscillation of blades. The injury which you would have sustained is due to thermal injury due to over heating of blade ( Low price trimmers have less insulating material). Unlike normal shaving blades, trimmer are not known to transmit HIV. Rest be assured there is no cause for concern. Wishing you a very happy and healthy life. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon

Follow-up: What is the posibility of contracting HIV by using electric trimmer that caused a scar on my neck? 1 minute later
I am sorry ,The Instrument used was electronic shaver. There is clear visible cut on my neck. Can you please suggest

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: It does not transmit HIV Detailed Answer: Hi Dear Mr XXXXXXX Overheated blade (very common in electronic shaver which has less insulating material) may cause cuts in the skin. There is no cause for concern. Electronic hair shaver/trimmer are not known to transmit HIV. I have been actively involved in POST EXPOSURE PROPHYLAXIS for hiv. There is no cause for concern. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak